For Urgent Crises
Student Counseling Services suggests several resources available for crisis situations:
- Walk-in crisis counseling is offered at Student Counseling Services from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday at 340 Appleby Hall. These services are not the same as those available in an emergency room and should not be substituted for a situation requiring immediate intervention. If you're concerned about someone, you can call 612-624-3323 during those hours and ask to consult with the crisis counselor.
- Urgent counselors are available 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday at the Boynton Mental Health Clinic. Call 612-625-8475 to speak with an urgent counselor or come to the Mental Health Clinic on the fourth floor of Boynton Health Service located on the East Bank at 410 Church Street SE. These services are not the same as those available in an emergency room and should not be substituted for a situation requiring immediate intervention. There may be a wait to speak with an urgent counselor.
- Call the U of M Crisis Line at 612-301-4673 anytime.
- U of M Textline is available 24/7 by texting "UMN" to 61222.
- University mental health resources can be found on the Mental Health web site.
- Suicide Prevention Hotline can be reached 24 hours a day at 800-273-8255.
- Fairview Hospital's Behavioral Emergency Center staff provides emergency care, assessment and referrals for people of all ages in a behavioral crisis related to either mental health or substance abuse. The center is located on the Riverside campus of University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview. Patients check in through the Emergency Department. Telephone: 612-672-6600.
- Hennepin County Acute Psychiatric Services (612-873-3161) serves those in emotional crisis with 24-hour, seven-day-a-week crisis counseling, assessment, and referral.
- For life-threatening emergencies, dial 911.